April 7, 2017
- 20 thin slices sandwich bread,
- crusts removed
- 3/4 pound butter
- 4 ounces blue cheese, at room
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream
- cheese, at room temperature
- 1 egg, beaten
- 20 fresh asparagus spears
- Trim crusts from bread, and flatten slightly with a rolling pin. In a bowl,stir blue and cream cheeses together with the egg until well blended and creamy.
- Spread a thin layer of cheese mixture over each slice of bread.
- Roll one asparagus spear inside each, and fasten with a toothpick. Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Roll each asparagus wrap in butter to coat.
- Place on a baking sheet small enough to fit into the freezer, and freeze for one hour,or until butter hardens and wraps are somewhat firm.
- Remove pan from freezer,discard toothpicks,and cut each wrap in half crosswise.
- Store in a resealable plastic bag in the freezer until ready to use.
- To serve, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Arrange frozen asparagus wraps on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Check occasionally, and turn if necessary, for even browning and to prevent burning.